Injuries or diseases resulting from the workplace can be quite debilitating as they impact multiple areas of your life. In some cases, it might seem difficult for you to determine that symptoms are originating from your workplace. However, if you feel symptoms are being exacerbated at work it might be helpful to talk to your physiotherapist to receive guidance and confirmation.
- WorkSafe, BC is the provincial agency that is responsible for work-related impairments and diseases. They are dedicated to ensuring you receive medical care at the earliest in an accessible manner.
While some work injuries can be treated with medical care, there are others that will require varying degrees of rehabilitation. Workplace injuries that will require rehabilitation can include:
- Musculoskeletal injuries such as Repetitive Strains and sprains
- Cuts, lacerations, amputations and more.
Physiotherapy after Work Related Injuries
If you are experiencing any symptoms WorkSafe BC provides guidelines on reporting your injury. On receiving a claim number, you are eligible to access our physiotherapy services.
At Revere, we have a contract with WorkSafe BC, which means you don’t need a doctor’s note or referral to access our services. All you need is your claim number to begin your road to recovery.
We understand that choosing the right healthcare provider can seem daunting, how can you possibly know the best one for you, right? As experienced physiotherapists, working in the field for 15 years, we are offering you some considerations.
Here are 4 things to keep in mind when looking for Physiotherapy after a work-related injury-
1. Cost & Coverage
In order to fully understand WorkSafe benefits we will need to compare 2 different systems; the one before and the one after June 1, 2022.
- Before June 1st, 2022: Physiotherapy sessions could be booked only when the case was approved and a claim number was presented. Furthermore, you would be eligible for 6 weeks of treatment, with a frequency of twice a week. After 6 weeks, you would be re-assessed to determine the next steps.
- The physiotherapy clinics were paid ~$450 for every 6-week block, which was about $40 per session far lower than the rate for private physiotherapy sessions. To make up for the discrepancy, physio clinics charged a user fee which had to be paid out of pocket. This amount could not be reimbursed from WorkSafeBC.
- As you can imagine, having to pay for medical care when you couldn’t work at all was probably stressful. Science has revealed that stress negatively impacts your body’s healing process.
- After June 1st, 2022: You are now eligible to access services with only a claim number without having to wait for the approval.
- Additionally, clinics were allocated more funds; $83 per session. You are able to receive 6 weeks of treatment up to 15 sessions. While this is a significant increase, private physiotherapy rates can range from anywhere between $90-110 per session. This is the reason most physiotherapy clinics charge user fees. This impacts you, the patient in many ways. You may not be able to focus on maximum recovery and may not be able to receive as many treatment sessions as you’d require.
At Revere, we understand your financial burden at a time such as this. That’s why we’ve pledged to offer the highest quality of physiotherapy care at ZERO cost to you. We do not charge user fees to prioritize your recovery with minimal stress.
2. Duration of session
- Best practices for physiotherapy include a 20–30-minute session. This is adequate time for assessment, treatment and ongoing feedback.
- When you are looking to book appointments, you may want to keep that in mind. In order to make the most of a physiotherapy session and return to work duties, you will want an effective physiotherapy session.
3. Type of intervention offered, quality of care
- Any injury is best treated with hands-on, one on one care. At Revere, we pride ourselves on exactly that. Our specialty is manual therapy. We do not stack multiple clients all at once. We do not hook you up to machines as your physiotherapy intervention neither do we delegate to assistants. We believe in quality care and that’s what we offer. We don’t charge additional fees for Dry Needling or Shockwave therapy if indicated.
- Return to work is harder when long breaks are taken; the break becomes counter-intuitive. Instead of feeling healthy and strong, you may begin to feel idle which adversely impacts your mental health. Our goal is to help you return to work at the earliest so you can be engaged in something that boosts your morale and self-esteem.
- Your physiotherapist will talk you through your options, sometimes a gradual return to work may be suggested. You may continue to access services and coverage through WorkSafeBC provided you need more intervention. You will also be given exercise prescriptions and adjustments at your workplace. You can be reassured that all the support you need will be provided to make a safe return to work.
- Depending on the type of injury you may need more intervention. Soft tissue injuries usually heal within 6 weeks. However, this 6-week block can be extended if the need arises.
In case of fractures, ligament tears or surgery, the same process is followed, but with a longer time frame for healing and rehabilitation.
4. Interdisciplinary Collaboration
- Physiotherapists are well placed within the service delivery model to refer to other services as deemed necessary. We use our clinical reasoning to determine additional services that will potentially benefit you and maximize your recovery.
- Worksafe BC has an Occupational rehab program which is a full-time rigorous intervention. This is an extensive program with a full-fledged rehabilitation team supporting your recovery.
We hope this article gave you clarity on physiotherapy after a work-related injury. Book an appointment with our expert physiotherapists to get started on your recovery. If you have any questions reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Let us know in the comments what your experience of Physiotherapy after Work Related Injuries has been like and how long it took. It will be useful for other readers to get an idea of recovery and return to work.
Share this article with those you think will benefit from understanding WorkSafe BC and the Physiotherapy after Work Related Injuries.